NBC News reported Tuesday that the White House and also the U.S. Capitol were placed on temporary lockdown following an airspace violation in Washington D.C., per law enforcement sources.

The Secret Service said in a statement that the temporary lockdown was because of a “potential violation of the restricted airspace within the Capital Region.”

During lockdown also was noticed the point of mystery defensive measure system atop a building across the road from the White House.

Sara Cook, a CBS News producer covering the White House, tweeted out a picture showing a missile battery within the roof of a building close to the White House.

Andrew Leyden wrote in response to Sara Cook tweet: “There are many types of anti-aircraft missile batteries around DC, near DCA, JBAB, Carderock and different locations. That one you noticed was really put in place several a few years ago.”

According to some sources, the air defense system that was spotted is a component of AN/TWQ-1 avenger pointed on the roof of the New executive office building (NEOB), a U.S. federal government building in Washington, D.C.  The building is located at 725 17th Street NW, on the north side of Pennsylvania Avenue. To the south is the Eisenhower Executive Office Building (EEOB), which is next to the White House.

The Drive said that the AN/TWQ-1 is more generally seen mounted on a Humvee, however, are often positioned in mounted emplacements, as well. it’s armed with the 2 four-round launchers for the FIM-92 Stinger missile and a .50 calibre M3P machine gun.

Another Twitter user wrote: “Isn´t it quite normal that in/around Washington DC and especially around the hill/White House several defense installations are available? I would be more confused if there aren’t such things in place?!…as well as they hopefully change positions random to screw up observers!”

As to ‘lockdown’, U.S. Capitol Police confirmed that access to the Capitol complex buildings was halted “for a brief time.” the situation was cleared at 9:12 a.m., Capitol Police said, about 45 minutes after the aircraft was first reported within the restricted airspace.

A spokesperson for NORAD said in a statement later Tuesday that the object might have been “a flock of birds or a weather balloon.”

The event was “resolved while not incident,” the advocator same.

Spread This Content